Wednesday, October 8, 2008

HOW TO MAKE YOUR HYGIENIST HAPPY


Ok so perhaps you don't even care about the answer to this but as a dental hygienist I have a few pet peeves. I'll share one tonight.

We know your not flossing. I went to 4 years of school just so I could tell what gingival inflammation is (ok I learned a few other things too) When you have inflammation AND tell me you floss regularly I want to laugh in your face. FACT: 80% of people say they floss when in fact less than 10% of the population actually does. Here's another clue your not flossing...
Me- "when was the last time you ate popcorn?"
PT- "oh a few weeks ago"
Me- "hmmm I just pulled a popcorn kernel from in between your teeth"


80+% of all adults have some form of periodontal disease (destruction of the bone supporting the tooth). Peridontal disease has a direct link to heart disease, diabetes, preterm low brith-weight babies, pancreatic cancer (usually terminal) and many other suspected disease correlations. Periodontal disease is almost always preventable (brushing and FLOSSING and reg check ups).

Finally, why do I have to tell adults to take care of their teeth? Isn't this something you learn since your a child??? Basically anything wrong (like cavities, gingivitis, periodontal disease) is something rotting in your mouth. Yes, it makes your breath smell. I hope that image motivates.

Does anyone watch HOUSE? Sometimes I wish I could say exactly what I am thinking just like him. My job is to figure out a nice way to tell you the obvious.

Moral of Post: We tell you to floss for a reason, so do it (everyday) or don't complain when we tell you something is wrong and it's going to be $$$expensive$$$. ahhh I feel better

10 loves:

Laura said...

I do floss every day. I do, I do, I do! But I brush a little too much and too hard, so my gums aren't happy.

And hey, while we're at it: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :-)

Corynn said...

Now I am totally freaked out.... great. I know I brush too hard. I am always trying to slow down and make small circles. I don't know if I am doing any better. I am due for a check-up! But, because of your post I am now putting a giant post-it on my mirror to remind me to floss!

megan said...

good point! Why is brushing and flossing teeth so difficult for adults to get the hang of? It is funny because I actually love to go to the dentist (except for the shots) My hygienist always tell me that I have great hygiene!

Jamie said...

You are too funny! That is so my life too! Isn't being a hygienist fun?? We get to dig around in people's spit all day long :) I was so excited to find your blog and I hope you guys are doing good!

Emilie said...

I had a roommate that would start flossing 1 week before her scheduled appointment. Then she didn't until 1 week before her next appointment (or so she said), and never had any cavitities :)

Unknown said...

Nerd alert! I love you Michelle. Dental Hygiene rocks!!

megan said...

I know this is 15 minutes late now, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! sorry I meant to call you all day and then just kept forgetting.

Crystal said...

That popcorn comment made me laugh out loud. I HATE it when pts lie to me! I've recently started telling pts that I found "goodies" in their pockets and that usually gets their attention. So gross!

RiChArd and MeReDitH said...

Michelle!!!
I love you!!! You are one of the only people I know that would post a gripe about non-flossers and make it educational at the same time! I have a MAJOR gripe about that too! We aren't stupid...just tell us straight up. Sometimes I get a kick out of freaking them out. EX: well, if you really are flossing every day like you say and you are still bleeding like this maybe you should see your physician to run some tests to make sure everything is ok...that usually gets them! BTW...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I thought about you all day...I know that doesn't count for much but I really did!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE HOUSE!! Actually I love Hugh Laurie but really, what's the difference?